Done! (And What’s Next)

Here are the final pics of my bralette.

Top

More of the cups

Cup Closeup

The back

Inside Cups Closure

 

Closeup of the back. There’s a tiny gap between the sides, but I can live with it.

Back closure closeup

After wearing it around the house for a bit, I decided on some other structural changes for the next one. I want to add boning and an underwire. I realize that that makes it much more like a real bra and adds a lot more sewing time, but it’s the only way I’d feel completely secure. The straps are great (although I’ll make them wider next time), but I think they’re doing too much work supporting the bodice.

Now I have to figure out which project to do next.

I’m torn between 1. my newest obsession, swimwear; 2.  the often-mentioned, but never completed French Jacket; or 3. my Retro Bombshell Dress from Craftsy.

Candidate #1: I found this fabulous blog, Kitschy Coo and her amazing four part swimsuit tutorial. She covers everything from measuring yourself to constructing the swimsuit. Right after I finished reading it, I measured myself and starting dreaming of all the swimsuits I’ll be able to make. I haven’t settled on a single idea yet, but I’m definitely sticking to my retro theme. For those of you looking for a readymade retro swimsuit pattern, definitely check out Closet Case Files’ retro swimsuit. It’s a stunner and she did a sewalong on her blog to walk you through the tricky steps.

Candidate #2: I’m thinking a lot about (actually more like feeling guilty about) my French Jacket. I see the muslin every.single.day and still manage to avoid working on it. I lost about 10 lbs since I’ve been working on it, so basically I need to do a good bit of alterations on it and it might just be easier to make a new one.

Candidate #3: I just found some really cute (and inexpensive) cotton fabric that I can use for the Bombshell dress. As usual, I’m going to have to do an FBA and I’d rather use this fabric before I use the black stretch cotton I bought. I figure you can never have too many Bombshell dresses. I already taped together and cut out the PDF pattern and prewashed the fabric so I’m ready to get to work.

So there it is. I’m still thinking, but I’ll be cutting into something within the next 48 hours.

xoxo,

Blog signature

 

 

Advertisements

I Needed Closure

Sometimes I forget that when I make changes to a pattern, the domino effect kicks in and I’ll have to make even more changes down the line. Case in point: my bralette top.

The original pattern closes with four buttons and I knew from the beginning that that wasn’t going to happen. My issues with buttonholes have already been discussed exhaustively so I won’t talk about them again here. (By the way, did I ever tell you that the buttonholer that came with my machine doesn’t work? Never, not once. I even called Singer and the representative spent about 30 minutes with me going over every possible problem and we couldn’t get it to work properly. Now if the manufacturer can’t get it to work, what chance do I have?)

Anyway, if I’m unwilling to make four buttonholes, you know I’m not going to make the eight or nine that this bralette would need so I decided on a zipper. I grabbed one from my stash and sewed it in. Now, some of you may already foresee the problem with this, but I didn’t until I tried to put it on. I couldn’t even get it over my shoulders because – yes boys and girls – I didn’t use a separating zipper! I don’t have one in my stash either, but you know what I did have? Hook and eye tape!

IMG_8974

So I used it instead. It was late and I sewed the hooks facing the outside (doh!) but it’s really not a big deal to me and, more importantly, I refuse to pull the entire thing out again. Besides, this was supposed to be a simple project, remember?

Hook and eyes

The only things left to do are the straps and the hem and it’s DONE!

Another thing: as you can see from the picture, the h&e tape is exposed, and I’m going to pretend this was an intentional design detail but for future projects, I’ll have to remember to make the bodice back a bit wider so I have enough to make a flap to cover the opening. I’ll post pics of the finished project in my next post.

xoxo,

Blog signature

Bralette Top – in Gingham!

I’ve been working on this top for a few days and so far it’s coming along nicely. The hardest part was doing the FBA. I thought I might be able to avoid it since the cups looked like they’d be a bit roomy, but I was wrong. There was quite a bit of slashing and spreading to get from this

IMG_8966

to this

IMG_8967

but I finally got it to fit well. I still have to do the lining and close the back but here’s how she looks so far:

IMG_8968

and here she is again with my new best friends – pattern weights courtesy of the hardware store at 79 cents each

IMG_8972

I’ve never been a fan of gingham, but for some reason, this year I like it. It’s such a summery fabric and it’s going to look fab with my yet-to-be-sewn white high-waisted skirt and capelet. Now I just need the right shoes…

xoxo,

Blog signature