Finished My Beret…and Tried Something New

Actually I finished it last week, but as always there’s a lag between finishing and taking pics.

IMG_8799 IMG_8800 IMG_8801

I have one tiny issue I have with it: it’s a bit loose, but that’s easily remedied by casting on fewer stitches. I’ve been wearing it almost every day and I’m definitely going to make another one soon.

Now for an awkward transition to another project I did.

I love, love, love beautiful lingerie. I’m also on a budget. What’s a girl to do? I want what I want so as usual I had to figure out a way to make it.

Enter Fehr Trade’s Lacey Thong Pattern. I downloaded it sometime last year, bought everything I needed and then forgot about it until this weekend. I was trying to think of something I could sew up quickly and I remembered it and I’m so glad I did – it was so much fun! First, there are only 5 pieces to cut out so that went quickly.


Sewing the pieces together was super easy. I really thought I could do it with just my serger, but that wasn’t the case.  I spent hours trying to figure out how to do it, but even with the flatlock stitch I just wasn’t satisfied with the way it looked. I finally had to enlist the new Singer Esteem II that I found on Craigslist.The most difficult part was sewing the elastic on the legs and waist.

So here’s the finished project.



and some details…

IMG_8812 IMG_8810 IMG_8807

Now that I feel confident about making undies, I’m going to try out different fabric/lace combinations and techniques I found in the Singer Sewing Lingerie book I’ve had for eons.  Because it’s such a small, quick project, it’s easy to be creative without spending too much time or money on each pair. It was exactly what I needed to transition back to my next big sewing project.